Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Well -what about the hand?


Got up at 6:00am this morning so I could get into town early - had 10 miles into Daleville, Va. Went to Kroger for some fresh fruit and vegetables before heading to the PO for my drop. While there - the postmaster asked what had happened - I told him the story and that I needed to get to an Urgent Care facility - 20 mins by car - away. He called a Trail Angel - Dell - who came and picked me up. He took me to the facility and waited for me to find out the results. New Xrays showed that the last doctor did get it set back correctly. The bad news - I couldn't move it still. He said that is pretty normal - since it has been immobel for a week. Off came the splint and sling - and a new script for more pain pills. Every night I am supposed to manually bend each of the joints - forcing mobility back. If I can't move it in a week - it is back to an Ortho to see if I have ligament damage - which could mean surgery. Praying that isn't the case. Dell took me to a hotel - going to shower and relax a bit for my hand. Have seen 20 or so hikers rolling into town - so should be able to have a good diner out - then back to the trail. We just passed mile 714 - so have finished 33% of the trail - WOW over 1/3 done at this point and still going strong!!!!

2 comments:

darkangel said...

Wow! I'm amazed at your adventure. It leaves me awe-struck! The pics are way cool. Just a little advice: use exteme caution hiking on cliff-side while taking pain pills.....LOL Could end up with more than hand surgery...

I hope to meet up with you upon the completion of this chapter in your life...

You have another fan...

Jody aka darkangel

Anonymous said...

Be careful with the bending-if ya can grab a nerf ball or just a piece of foam and use that like a stress ball. If that isn't an option, the bending with the other hand will work, just be gentle and don't force things too much. Squeezing something is less likely to reinjure the joint. Expect a lot of stiffness after being immobile for a week, go easy but be persistent and work on it as much as possible.