Sunday, May 11, 2008

Dead / New Kicks




Layed up short yesterday - storm supposed to roll in - and you know how I love to nero into town. Nice little 4.5 miler to The Relax Inn. Picked up a new shirt, and new shoes that I had ordered a bit ago. Here are the dead ones - made it 535 miles in them, have several tears in them, burns from too close to a fire in the Smokies, and tread is starting to come off. I'll miss them - but my knees called - and they wanted new ones. Here are the new kicks as well - kinda forgot what they looked like. Going to have to get new pants and shorts soon - weight is really starting to drop off of me now - maybe at Trail Days. Rained all day today - PERFECT use of a nero. Going to go ahead and switch out my 10 degree bag for a lighter 35 degree bag as well - keeping wool long johns for a few more weeks - huge storm that came through dropped us down to the 40's again. Will pass the 25% mark tomorrow! (545 miles) - HUGE accomplishment for me - seems like I was just at Springer yesterday. Going to go as far as I can then hitch back to Trail Days - and might stay a few more days for Hardcore. Only 1,000 people in town, but Trail Days brings in 2,000 hikers and with only 4 computers in town at the library - not assuming I will be able to update anything for a bit. Hope to get pictures of all my friends - really miss everyone - hiking alone is great - but nice to see friends at the end of the day. I'm not exactly introverted. Might have to slow up at some point to save myself mentally - or get some of them to speed up. Peace for now - might be 2 weeks before you hear from me again.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looking good man! Keep up the good work - nice call not stopping to live in the "magic bus"; I'd stay away from eating potato vines as well...

Morgan Miller said...

25% Done!!!!! Fantastic!!!!!
New shoes look great, it is amazing how much a new pair gets you going. We are all thinking about you and praying for you. Look forward to hearing more soon.

T said...

WOW! Congrats on 25% - that's amazing!
(but no more using the word "dead" in headlines, k? -about gave me a heart attack!)

Glad all is well, and know the cheering is only getting louder on this end!

Anonymous said...

I have been keepin tabs on and am happy to hear all is well. You are doing AWSOME! Keep it up and look forward to seeing you (and reading about the trip till then). You need some "firemares" to speed things along for your friends.
Joel