Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Homeplace


For the last 100 miles or so - all the hikers were leaving notes in the journals about how they couldn't wait to get to "The Homeplace" restaurant in Catawba, VA. The more and more we talked - the more it was the only thing we could talk about. The problem was - only open Th- Sunday, and Sunday they closed at 6:00pm. So Sat I did a 23 miler (ended up getting to the shelter at 9:00pm in the dark). No skin left on the bottoms of my toes - so laid down. Some section hikers told me too hard to get water there in the dark - and the next morning filled my bottles since they knew it was hard for me. So much help out here. Sunday - we had a 14 miler - plus a 1.5 mile hike on asphalt out of our way - but we made it at 5:00! $13 for all you can eat - fried chicken, brisket, gravy, mashed potatoes, pinto beans, green beans, biscuits and blueberry cobbler! Also came with limonade and unsweetened tea. What the hell? are we no longer in the south - just as I got hooked on the sweet tea - it's no longer. I know we haven't passed the Mason-Dixon line yet - but understand we are now in central Virginia which must mean "northern" based on the tea. The owner could see that we were bloated and in no shape to hike - so told us to go set up in and around the gazebo for the night! To my left are Professor Longjohns and Mary Poppins. To my right is Bilge Rat and Snackies, and across from me is Tailgate and Aqua Maria (can't see her). Well worth the big day and going out of the way.

No comments: