Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Sunset at Roan Mountain.

Not going to lie - today was an old fashioned ass kicking as we had to climb Roan Mountain. Long 15 mile day - and all up and down. Our last shelter was a 3,900', they then took us up to 4,900 for Little Rock Knob - then dropped us down to 4,000' (Hughes Gap) just for kicks. I stopped and ate the last of my trail mix and snickers for the upcoming uphill battle. Within the first two miles - they took us from 4,000' up to 5,350 - which was just the warm up. We then went up to 6,275' in just a little over a mile! If you want to find a way to burn every muscle in your legs - this is how. Would have been better if it wasn't the end of the day. Was able to catch a sunset through the trees at the old firewardens cabin (I slept in the loft so actually another 10' of elevation). I can honestly say this was the first time I have felt a sense of accomplishment since I have started this journey. Very cold that night - ready to drop elevation again.

No comments: