Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Up and over


Well - after the doctor set my finger - I asked if I could hike. No reason to lay around to let it heal - if it will heal the same on the trail. Besides - I had a shot in my hip, 2 in my finger, an 800 mg Ibo, and 500 mg hydrocodone - so pain really wasn't an issue. Was smart though - only hiked 7 miles to the first shelter and stopped. Everyone wanted to help me - but I had to see if I could do it myself - didn't want to get a couple days in and need someone - and they not be there. I could do everything (even pump water) except take the lid off my pills (put them in ziploc bags) and zip my rain jacket (had someone zip it and then just used it as a pull over. Didn't sleep much that night - pain meds wore off and the swelling really kicked in. Hand was 2x the normal size - and I couldn't move any of my fingers on my right hand. Figured if anything went really wrong - could hike back down to town easily. Here I am crossing over barbed wire / electric fence. In several places we pass over personal property - typically with cattle on it - and this is how we get over. Assume they don't trust us with gates. When you hit one of these- usually hit about 10 - as we stay down at lower elevation just weaving back and forth. Hiking with Tailgate, Aqua-Maria, Professor Longjohns, Mary Poppins and NY Minute.

No comments: