Thursday, July 17, 2008

Library Nazi

Got into Dalton, Mass yesterday with an easy 12 miler (new definition of nero) after doing a week of 20+. Taking a much needed day off - haven't had a good, relaxing zero for over 500 miles (last one was in Harpers Ferry). Sure I took one in Port Clinton, but that was after "creating" it with a night hike till 11:30pm - then closing out a bar till 3:30am. Then running around - so wasn't relaxing. Staying at a Trail Angels house - Tom - lets us shower and sleep anywhere on the floor - and has bikes for us to get around town on. Amazing hospitality. Can't work on the blog - as the librarian here was incredibly strict on 1 hour limit (even though no one else here and 6 computers, and can't plug in USB card reader - she thinks that I'm putting something on the computer.) I have found that most small town librarians are old and mean - not wavering on the "rules" no matter what. Have yet to come across the tall, brunette, with the hair up in a bun, glasses in the mouth, type - that let their hair down when you come in. Always old and mean. Finished up NJ, NY, Conn, and almost done with Mass. Will be in Vermont in 2 days! Have seen 4 SOBO's now - so it is getting real. The end was so far off that I didn't have to think about it - now its probably only 6-7 weeks away. Yikes. Every step I am taking is north bound, but after I touch that sign in Maine, every step after that will be south bound. Not sure I can deal with that yet. The Journey will be over. This journey anyway. Have several good pictures to show you - but alas - society has placed "rules" on me. Might be a week or two before I can update. Next time you are in your local library - please give a mean scowl to the librarian for me. Still about a week ahead of my original published schedule. Note - I will be through Vermont in about half of the time from what I originally planned - likely making it to New Hampshire by the first few days in Aug (my 34th bday is Aug 2nd) vs the second week. thanks and Godspeed.

3 comments:

Morgan Miller said...

Hey - you get to camp out on your birthday - and not in your backyard!!!

Anonymous said...

KD,
Rumor has it that the tall, brunette, glasses in her mouth librarian is located at the base of Mt. Katahdin. Suggest you look around for her AFTER the summit. Also, her blouse is missing a button....
EDC CL

Mark said...

KD,

You're getting so close, keep it up!

Mark Andrews