Thursday, July 24, 2008

double zero - knee pain

Just a quick note to let you know that Freebird and I are still in Manchester Center - ended up taking a double zero. Weather has been bad - flood conditions for last couple of days - supposed to break on Friday - trail is like a stream. I have had intense knee pain for the last two days (on my days off!). Right knee - pain is about an 8 or 9 out of 10 unless I have 800mg of advil in me (which I'm eating like candy right now) and icing it. The pain travels up the side of my leg and into my glutes - which makes me think IT Band - I just don't know anything about that. The side leg pain isn't as bad - mostly centered under my kneecap. I know the dr would just say rest, ice, and oh - no hiking. I took two days off - best I can do - unless I can't walk in the morning. There is a shelter 2 miles from town - so will head there and then decide. I think the reality of hiking over 1,600 miles is just simply wearing my body out.

3 comments:

Amy Stewart said...

Kevin - You've made it 75% of the way! That's awesome. Hope your knee is feeling better. You're almost there. . .

Anonymous said...

Did you ever do any stretching for your legs? Get someone to show you how to stretch out that IT band. That muscle down the side of your leg encapsulates the sciatic nerve. Also, massage the point on your glute that hurts. It's fun to watch people do that, but it will bring tears to your eyes.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kevin-
Hang in there, I hope the knee pain gets better. You are so close to the end. You have done amazing.
Stacy Sarnell