Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Dead / New pair - part deux


Well - hit the 90 day mark and it was time for new shoes. Sent them to Wind Gap so stopped there to pick them up as well as some supplies. 729 miles, in PA, on trail runners - is not a good idea. Feet are really bruised. Hit trail magic again - last year thru hiker - beer, soda, sandwhich, cookies - the whole spread. Ended up night hiking into Delaware Water Gap, as I am so ready to be out of PA. 0.2 tomorrow will put me into New Jersey. Next 3-4 states (NJ, NY, Conn, Mass) will go by nicely - as each one is under 100 miles - leaving me then with just the big three left (Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine). Will be going back to winter gear for the upcoming White Mtns - big 20+ mile days will turn back into 10+ mile days as we get into much taller peaks - and huge elevation swings again. Starting to taste it now. In a good place mentally and physically. Took 3 months to really let everything go, and to stop thinking so hard about how solve my life. At peace with everything now, jobs, relationships, friendships - everything is right where it should be - and I can't imagine my life without the AT. Was spending too much time worrying about getting it complete - have switched my mindset back over to the journey - vs the destination.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! seriously - so happy for you.

Unknown said...

I laugh then I cry... "Life is a journey, not a destination"... I'm sooo happy you are "enjoying the trip"!!

Anonymous said...

It is great to see you are doing so well. Congrats!!

Dustan and Betsy said...

Blaze, we are loving your blog. Glad to hear your honest report about the PA rocks b/c Dustan's mom was getting ready to come hike with us in this section. We're calling her right now to figure out a different plan....

It's so cool that we are really doing this.

Sorry about the perpetual finger problems. I have really bad Big D if that's any consolation. :)