Monday, April 28, 2008

I am here -


love this postcard - though it is a little daunting - shows the entire trail and all of the 14 states. The pen shows where I am currently - Erwin, Tenn. Layed around all day yesterday watching the rain. Guess what - taking another zero today - yep - a double zero! Forecast was rain again all day today - so the trail will be a soupy mess - and supposed to get down into the 30's tonight. Cold - no problem, rain - no problem, cold and wet together = suck. I'm dry and might as well stay that way - everything is so much harder in the rain. Stopping for snacks, water, meals - all harder in the rain. Setting up tent in the rain, and then tearing it all back down in the rain - really sucks. Really starting to learn how to "flow" - can't keep a schedule out here. Came into town for a huge breakfast and hanging out at the library right now. Need some sort of mental stimulation - so going to play on internet and read some magazines/newspapers. Mind really starts to wander when all you are doing is walking. Was able to see and hang out with some people that I was hiking with (Pixie, Muffin Paste, Happy, Hollar, Longshot, Freefall) and still hanging out with The Breeze - Etienne and Mic moved on. Hope to catch them soon - as they have the yahtzee dice! I think I will use the postcard and the pen to show my travels as I progress. Won't be any pictures for awhile - just wet here. Probably when I hit Damascus - which won't be too long - I mailed 6 lbs of stuff back today!!!! Some cold weather clothes (not everything yet) and stuff that I haven't been using - should make the back feel good - tomorrow of course.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I had one of these postcards to leave on my desk today - I am so tired of POPs it is not even funny.
p.s. nice beard... I guess you weren't lying huh? :)

-Pope

Anonymous said...

Just read about a week's worth of the blog - thanks for keeping up on posting and for being so honest with the writing. It's really interesting to see that most of the difficulty is mental as opposed to physical. Talk about a good analogy for life...

take care buddy,
-Dustin

Morgan Miller said...

Kevin, I can't believe it has been a month now. You are looking really good, even with the "Jack Sparrow" beard. Please don't shave!!!! I want to see what 5 months of growth looks like. Seriously, we really love the blog, and I look forward to reading it, it is like a soap opera. (without all the crazy stuff) Keep it up, the Lord is watching you.
Have fun!

Unknown said...

My favorite "little tick turd"!! (By the way, any ticks?) :-) We're so proud of YOU! Love keeping up with the blog and getting an email along the way. Your Dad has been here and I showed him the blog, he wrote down the web addy so he could look at and show everyone at work! Uncle and I love seeing the pics and reading your tales. We love you! Big hugs, Aunt Jo