Sunday, April 27, 2008

Smokey the bear says . . .



I knew that I couldn't make it 16 miles by noon today (Sat) so I slept in and started what I thought was an easy 10 miler to a shelter. Found out that they are doing controlled burns on the AT - which routed us 4 miles out of the way - and past the shelter - making for a 17 miler instead. This hike is a great example of life - plans don't always work - just have to flow with it. If Amy or my therapist is reading this - they are probably laughing uncontrollably now. I have long stuggled when a plan doesn't play out - this is really good for me. Going to have to make it to Erwin and take a zero - not what I wanted - but no shelter or camping with water available and have a package to pick up on Monday since PO is closed on Sunday. Out of my 4 mail drops - I haven't hit but one correctly - keep rolling into towns after noon on Sat or on Sunday. Zero will do my body good. Stopped at Uncle Johnny's Hostel - right on the trail. Will go in town for real food and relax. Someone asked how I update my blogs - its towns and zeros or neros. Either stay at a hostel once a week - or stop by the local public library when in town. I LOVE that people are reading this and leaving me comments - really helps me mentally - which is going to be the bigger struggle than physically.

No comments: