Sunday, April 6, 2008

Home sweet -


Day 1 - Here is my new home - notice I didn't take the tent itself - just the rain fly and the footprint. Note - it saved a pound, but rain splashes up under the fly. Beautiful today - but rained all night - got fairly wet. Kept waking up and turning on my headlamp - made a dam out of toilet paper to keep my down bag dry. Also switched to a thiner and shorter pad to save half a pound. Not as cushy as my other one. Did 10 miles today but lost my hat. A guy - Doug - carried it for most of the day after picking it up - but set it down - assuming he wouldn't find me. He camped right next to me - neat. Met a couple - James and Holly (Sunny and Shere) and camped with them. Here is something I didn't expect - automatic gun fire. Yep - kept hearing semi automatic gun fire. Well it is the South - and maybe you need an AR-15 for squirels. Then I heard bombs - well maybe dynamite for bunnies??? Kill and clean in one step. Nope - the Army Rangers do their mountain training here - right here in Horse Gap where we are staying. Machine gun fire and concussion grenades. Mom don't worry about me - we had a full perimeter around us! This morning was sureal - but it is setting in now.

No comments: