Thursday, August 7, 2008

update

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am alive and doing well. Every day feels a little bit better - though my nose and part of my lip are still numb. Going to the Dr tomorrow, and the nurse brings me some more meds tomorrow. Injecting them has become no big deal. Under 2 weeks to go! should be hiking again in the 18th or 19th of Aug. Have been working a lot in the cafe - which feels good to give back - and helps to keep me from being so bored. Usually busing tables, moping, sweeping, prepping food, rolling silverware - all basic stuff - and allows me to have 3 meals a day and a roof over my head. Simply couldn't be doing this other wise. One good thing - is that I am seeing a lot of people that I used to hike with. Last night - Sunny and Share rolled in - I met them on my very first night camping. Day 1 - so we learning to cook, throwing a bear line for the first time, and checking out each other's gear. We hiked together for 3 days - then at Neels Gap - they were having a shakedown on their packs (seasoned hikers going through and telling you what you don't need) and looking at new shoes - so I hiked on. At one point they passed me, and then I passed them - never seeing each other till last night. It was fun to see how skinny all of us were - and to get caught up. They are going to be moving to a farm in Virgina when done with the trail - and I'm hoping I can fly out and see them at some point. Have also seen 3 movies - Stepbrother, The Dark Knight, and Wall-e. Email me for reviews. I think today I am seeing Mama Mia. Small town and I'm running out of movies. Likely will go buy a book soon - almost through all of the magazines at the library. Brama Bull and Sweet Potato called this morning - they had heard from some SOBO's about me - and are planning on stopping by in a week or so to see me. I just wish it was 2 weeks instead of 3 for the treatment - so I could hike again with all my old friends. I don't see any way that I can make up that kind of time. It's hard enough catching up a couple of days - let alone a couple of weeks - and I don't think we have the mileage left for me to catch up - since you have to do their mileage plus 4-5 more miles a day. Spirits are good, and I think I'm putting on weight - eating 3 good meals a day plus no hiking - yikes - I might end up weighing more than I did at the start! I check email everyday and will probably post again next week after I talk to the Dr. Feel free to contact me. Also - not sure who edc cl is - but I love your comments - and now that we are talking about twins . . . well I might start running as soon as they give me the go ahead to hike!!!

2 comments:

KC's royal adventurers said...

Kev,

Good to see you taking this in stride and the best news is that it sounds like you are recovering well. I talk with my kids at the dinner table each night when there is an update in your blog letting them know how you are doing. I think I'm going to use "fear of ticks" as a way to get out of doing any more yardwork!
Thinking and praying for your safety.
DCaldwell

Anonymous said...

Well KD,
Librarian and her twin called again. They've been on your blog and the twin, being that she used to be a candy striper nurse, said she could help keep your tubes clean. Librarian has the idea of helping you write a book about your trek and was wondering if she could be the last chapter? Said I'd pass it along.
Then they really dropped a big question...apparently they've been researching that commando kilt you've been wearing and are curious about how much distance you have between the hem of the kilt and well, let's just say "showtime". They're obviously working out a math problem...told them I'd pass the questions along.
edc cl