Saturday, August 9, 2008

another update

Just wanted to check in with everyone. Went to the Dr. yesterday - and good news to report. Everything looks good - and no more blood work or tests are needed. After I push the last of the antibiotics through (10 days) the visiting nurse will pull my PICC line out - and I can immediately start hiking again! He said the nose should go back to normal over time - not sure why its still numb - but as long as I gain feeling again - great. If not - I'll have a couple of good souvenirs - a little finger that doesn't work, and a numb nose. Probably will make a T-Shirt that says "Hiked the 2,176 miles of the AT and all I got was Lyme Meningitis." Actually one of their top hand surgeons looked at my finger while I was in the hospital and she said no damage and in a year should be back to almost normal. For super-overkill - the Dr. went ahead and gave me some of the oral antibiotics that they started me on. If I get bit again - if you take them right away you can head this off at the pass - and clearly I know what the symptoms are. Have had a blast working at the cafe - I have cooked diner for the hikers and the community a couple of times - and I know how to close the restaurant so I organize the hikers every night. My old buddy The Breeze took a bus into town to come see me. I love seeing all of my old friends - just wish I could hike out with them. Time is going by pretty quickly and I will be on the trail soon. Haven't seen any more movies - started reading a book instead. Feeling good - but getting fat again. Weighed in - and I have put on 3 lbs in 2 weeks. guessing that will come of quickly when I hit the Whites. Tough to go from burning 5,000 calories a day down to 7. Metabolism doesn't know what to do. Oh - and edc cl - nice touch that one of the twins is a nurse - that will come in handy. I still have a couple of chapters to write - before I can worry about the last one. My kilt hem line is pretty long - but you can tell them 1.5 inches difference. That should solve the equation and likely result in a phone call! Peace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I just read your entire blog.

It's inspiring.

Beat the bug!

elizabeth said...

Hey blaze! So sorry to hear about the misfortunate illness. Sounds like you're in good company at least and staying busy! We've been visiting with Hoot's sister in Saratoga Springs, NY , but we're back on the trail tomorrow near Bennington. Tentatively speaking we plan to be in Rutland by August 16th. It would be great to see you again. We thought we had no chance of catching you, so even though its a bad circumstance, we will be happy to see you! We wish all the best in recovery, keep your spirit up, and perhaps we can celebrate with soy milk and oreos for your return to the trail! see you soon! hoot and sundance

Anonymous said...

keep your head high. glad to see you are getting better.
CITs. or citrus.