Monday, August 4, 2008

Blaze - now in HD!


Check out my inputs! I think I can get a converter at Radio Shack to convert these from IV to HDMI - so I can start getting HD signals! Ha. Thanks to everyone that called, emailed, text'd while I was laying for 5 days in a hospital bed. The night they told me that I had lyme meningitis and that it would take 21 days of treatment - I cried. Not because I had the lyme -but because I thought I was going to have to quit. I appreciate everyone not asking me - I just needed some time to think about it. I figured if I came "home" to get better - that I would just end up flying back out here to finish - so less money and easier logistics to stay. Plus it really is just part of my journey. I am exactly where I am supposed to be right now. I can't thank the 12 Tribes community enough - they are letting me stay at their hostel for the entire duration of my treatment (21 days total - I have 15 left!). They are letting me trade out work for stay at their cafe - so I work about 3-4 hours a day - sweeping, mopping, busing tables, moving stuff, dishes etc - in exchange for 3 organic meals a day and lodging. This would not be financially possible if I was in a hotel. Planning on going to the library a lot. Went to see Stepbrothers yesterday and plan on seeing The Dark Knight today or tomorrow. Weird having this much interaction with society again. Trying to walk around town to keep some kind of conditioning for my legs. Afraid I'm going to lose my trail legs right before the Whites. It is what it is. Once a day I do my meds - flush both lines with saline, then over 5 mins inject 20ml of Ceftriaxone - then flush again with saline. If you zoom in - you can see the blue catheter going into my arm. It runs up my arm in a vein, turns the corner under my shoulder, goes past my collar bone - then turns again and goes down to my heart. Allows the drug to mix with a lot of blood quickly and isn't so hard on my veins, and I don't have to have an IV jabbed in every day for 21 days. Not going to lie - took 3 people, a long wire, a big needle, and ultrasound to get it there. Not the most pleasant procedure - especially when turning to get to your heart - vs going up into your neck. But WAY better than the spinal tap or lumbar puncture as it is also referred to as. I'm feeling better every day - didn't get to spend my birthday on trail like I wanted - but oh well. 34 is going to be an exciting year for me. Thanks again for all the emotional help as I have gotten through this. Actually pretty happy with how I handled it. The trail has taught me how to flow. Can't imagine I will have much to post over the next 2 weeks - but will let you know when I am getting back on trail.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

jeez kevin, could you have warned me before going into graphic detail about the catheter? I gagged on my Enviga :). Glad to hear you are doing better - everyone here has been thinking about you and hoping you'll be back out there soon!

Anonymous said...

Keep your head up!

Anonymous said...

You know what they say, the only thing that came out of CT is Lyme.
Be like a tick - always on the ball. Ouch.
Keep your head and spirits up.

Morgan Miller said...

Looking good KK. In the grand scheme of things, look at this as just another chapter in your memoirs. Next, the big screen "Hiking the AT with Kevin Doll" - coming to a theatre near you.
We can't wait to see you, but we can wait a couple extra weeks for you to see Maine. (stop by LL Bean for me on the way home)
We are praying for a speedy recovery.
Take care!

Anonymous said...

Kevin, so happy to hear that you are better. They say all things happen for a reason...I'm thinking that it is just another way to get out of SKU TRAITING!!!! Yes, I have been blessed!!! Seriously, I wish you the best. Your "life trail" is waiting for you! CJONES

Anonymous said...

wow...amazing chain of events. I just returned from PTO to see all this craziness. Love your attitude and outlook on this whole deal. Keep your mental powers going and we'll see you back in KC soon enough (whether at Hallmark or not).

Anonymous said...

KD,
Glad to hear your spirits are up and making a balanced decision. Didn't want to bring this up while you were battling the initial hit of having Lyme but....have been in contact with that librarian that sits at the base of Mt. Katahdin; she's pretty concerned about you and hoping you get up there and visit soon. Apparently she and her twin sister both have alot of freckles and they're a little concerned about being able to quickly delineate between freckles and small ticks. Told her you're the kind of guy that would happily look things over and provide some pointers!
Hang in there...those trail legs aren't going away anytime soon.
edc cl

logstaa said...

I just heard about your situation from a SOBO. I had no idea! I didn't even know people could contract that on the trail. Hang in there! I'm at Manchester Ctr. right now, but if I'm able to make it into Rutland I'll drop by and see how you're doing. Hope the remainder of your treatment goes well.

- LongShot