Saturday, August 23, 2008

best spot in VT


When it isn't raining, Vermont really is beautiful. Here, someone carried up a green Adirondack chair to soak up the views. Tough to beat. There was an apple tree just to the left - but the fruit wasn't ripe yet. Sitting here, I realized, that I may not make it to Katahdin before winter sets in. They will close it on Oct 15th or any time before that if they believe it isn't safe to climb. I should be there by the end of Sept - but the changing tree's had me worried/thinking. I realized that it's ok if I don't touch that sign. I have had an amazing trip, and I am getting from the trail what I needed. I have changed. I will live a different life when I return. Don't get me wrong - I want to touch the sign, I want to be a thru hiker, I want to be part of the 2008 class - but I understand now that I don't need to. This has taken a lot of pressure off of me - and allows me more time at views like this. This is what hiking the AT is about. It is a journey and not a destination.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Again I cry, but only because I love you and know you have changed and grown so much in your life!! I hope your 'new' journey is a happy one and a long fruitful one; there is no destination...you have come to terms with that and Uncle & I are both so proud of you!

Love & hugs,
Aunt Jo