Saturday, August 23, 2008

Live free or die


Made it into New Hampshire today! We had a 2 or 3 mile road walk - so no "welcome to NH" sign on the AT. Crossed the Connecticut river but didn't take a picture. Went to the PO and then met some hikers for breakfast at "Lou's". As we were setting there - people kept walking by and taking pictures of our packs (that's mine on the far left). Thought I should take one as well. Funny how nice everyone has been so far considering the state motto of Live Free or Die. The AT passes right through the center of downtown and across the campus of Dartmouth. Some of the Fraternities allow you to stay there - and you can camp on the soccer field - but I'm just going to grab lunch and then hike out. Picked up winter gear (hat, gloves, wool long johns, heavier shirt/jacket, and pants). Pack is heavy again. Kilt was mailed home - sorry ladies - no more checking out my legs and wondering if I was wearing anything under it. I'm going to keep my 35 degree bag vs switching back to my 10 degree bag. Saves almost 3/4 of a lb. If I get too cold in the Presidential's - can have it mailed later. Only 2 states to go and down to 442 miles. Will be in Glencliff in 3 days, then it is into the Whites - so you won't hear from me till I get to Gorham - but I should have some amazing photo's - especially after climbing the 6,200' Mt. Washington. Peace.

3 comments:

Morgan Miller said...

Wow, I can smell those packs all the way back in KC.
Looking good KK, exciting to see you are back on the trail. Can't wait to hear more soon.
You are in our prayers.

Dustan and Betsy said...

Ugh, I can smell those packs too. Dude, so glad you're back on the trail! We are all hoping you are doing well and praying you don't "bleed out." haha

Love Brahma and Potato

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Friend of Betsy and Dustan's just checking in on you! I heard about the tick thing - That's Crazy! Glad you are feeling better and up to finishing the trail! Good Luck and God Bless! ~Toni Jill