Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I know the E is backwards - thanks for pointing it out


yep - this is what happens when you get bored, have a Wal-Mart nearby and the place you are staying has a T-Shirt press. Actually its kinda funny that the E came out wrong - since Meningitis is a swelling around your brain. (For what its worth - I had to do it upside down and backwards - and it was my first time). Under a week to go - which is pretty exciting. Brahma Bull, Sweet Potato, Hoot, and Sundance should all be getting here soon. Have seen two more movies - Mama Mia and Pineapple Express (only thing left is Space Chimps and Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2). If you don't live in Kansas City - you should walk outside and light your ticket money on fire vs seeing these two. Or hike part of the AT and use it as fire starter - just to watch the looks on a thru hikers face. If you do live in KC, walk down to the plaza, to the Barnes and Nobel and give it to the homeless guy that always asks for a down payment on a cheeseburger. Both movies are that bad. Went to Rutland Art in the Park festival last weekend (think Brookside Art Fair) and this coming weekend is the Long Trail Festival - so I'm keeping pretty busy. Read a book by local VT author, Bill McKibben called "Deep Economy". It is life changing and you should read it. Talks about how we have screwed up the economy and our planet - as we have gotten too efficient - replaced man with machine - and can ship produce to any where in the world. Too reliant on fossil fuels, and "more" is no longer "better" - we simply have too much stuff. We have to make changes now to save this planet. Growth is no longer the answer (if India and China live like the US - the planet can't handle it). Hits close to home when you are with Mama Nature everyday (I miss her by the way). I liked it so much I purchased another one called "Enough" - and so far it is just as good. Talks about issues of nanotechnology, robotics and changing your child's DNA before they are born via genetic engeneering (i.e. increasing their IQ). Should we be even looking at these technologies? Can we control them if they grow at their current speed? Should finish in the next day or so and plan to read one more of his called "Fight Global Warming Now - taking action in your community". He lives about 30 miles from where I am staying - emailed him to see if we could have lunch - and he replied that he would love to but is currently traveling. He thinks highly of thru hikers. I realize now that I was supposed to come to Rutland - granted would have liked another signal than the Lyme, as I was planning on going into Killington, not Rutland. I fell in love with a book that talks about how we should get back to small communities, and raise a lot of our own local food - interesting that I am staying with a group that does just that. They live in a community and have a fully self-sustaining farm in Virginia - completely off the grid - and even make their own biodesiel fuel for their vehicles. Not sure what I am supposed to do with this new knowledge yet - but was clearly supposed to meet the members of The 12 Tribes - see in action what Bill talks about in his book. I have to make a difference (beyond just changing the bulbs out to CFL's). Wait - I am lowering my carbon footprint - maybe living in a tent is the answer . . . . . (since I don't have any bulbs to change out!). This part of my journey has taught me how to relax - though I am ready to hike again. Talking to new hikers every day has been good for the soul. Feel free to contact me - I hit the library every day. Peace.

2 comments:

Dustan and Betsy said...

Yo. First of all, I am extremely offendend. I adored Mamma Mia! and I will be a chic for the rest of my life. I will love it for the rest of my life. And I threatened Brahma just today on the trail that the next time we hit a theatre, it's my turn. He's picked the last 4 flicks and excluding Dark Knight, they all sucked.
Next, Deep Economy totally rocked Dust (and me thru him) about 2 years ago. He went to a conference about organic farming and making soap out of deer ticks and breastfeeding your kids til they're nine, and so on, and Bill McKibben was the speaker. Pretty cool. Our longterm dream is to have a self-sustaining CSA. Dude, we are so all going to have a commune after the trail.
I've lost 20 pounds but I have acne. We're at the Green Mountain Heaven with Jeff right now so Hoot and Sundance will beat us there. We will be in Rutland in 3-4 days.
Next tee shirt should be 2 birds sitting on a branch, "More" and "Better."

Anonymous said...

This is very elementary, but speaking of movies and overproducing... have you seen the movie Wall-E? I enjoyed it. I never thought I would be so upset by a roach being stepped on.