Monday, March 31, 2008

most touching gift ever



I have been thinking about thru hiking the AT for about 4-5 months. After my divorce went through - I felt that I have an amazing oportunity to take a "pause" in life. No wife, no kids, no house, no truck payment, just work - and my company ( a very large greeting card manufacturer) allowed me to take a 6 month non paid leave. When else in life will I have that kind of opportunity. After reading the book "A Walk in the Wild" by Bill Bryson, and seeing the movie "Into the Wild" - I was sold. For those of you that know me - you know that Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam is my all time number one favorite (his music helped get me through college). He wrote all of the lyrics for the movie "Into the Wild" and if you haven't seen it, or do not own the soundtrack - you should. There are 4 songs on there - that just simply touch your soul. Rise, Hard Sun, Society, and Guarenteed. One of the lines in Rise moved me incredibly - and helped become the motto of my life right now - it's how I want to live. "Gonna Rise Up - Find My Direction - Magnetically. An amazing friend - borrowed my Ipod - telling me they were loading some songs for me - and actually had that engraved on the back of my Ipod. They didn't tell me when they did it - instead - sent me a text to look at it after I had arrived in Atlanta and had started this trip. I broke down and cried. It was the most touching thing anyone could have gotten me. It weighed nothing, yet it meant everything. On days that I want to quit - I'm going to turn my ipod over and keep pushing. Thank You - I love it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck and Godspeed Kevin; Melissa and I have faith you will make it.

Enjoy every minute of your journey. We'll be waiting on you when you come back.

Unknown said...

Enjoy every minute of your experience. When I train for my marathons, my favorite motto is 'Follow your bliss' and you are truly doing that. I'm looking forward to reading all about it!

Unknown said...

Kevin, Uncle and I love you! I have faith you can do this, but remember you can always come home early and I'll come to get you, wherever you are!! I pray you're safe. Enjoy your trip!!

Aunt Jo