Monday, March 31, 2008

First Night



Ah - home sweet home. First day was a 18 mile hike - but add another mile to get to the campsite. This extra "side" milage isn't good - as it isn't getting you down the trail. First night was around 8 degrees - and I'm not going to lie - that is cold. You wake up and the top of your tent and sleeping bag are covered in ice from the condensation of your breath. Oh - and so much for the 18 packets of oatmeal I took for breakfast - just extra weight when your water is frozen every morning. Even a powerbar freezes! I was very happy with my 10 degree Western Mountaineering sleeping bag that night. And I learned to take an empty Gatoraid bottle to bed with me. No motivation to get up in the middle of the night when it is that cold - to go pee.

No comments: