Monday, March 31, 2008

Half Way!

We had 170 miles to cover in 9 days. This mile marker was our half way point. We weren't considered "thru hikers" yet (any hike over 100+ miles) but it felt incredible to know that we had made it half way - and just a little behind our made up itenerary. And yes - I carried a small, plastic, light weight tripod. I knew that I would be hiking alone on the AT and would want pictures with me in them - so justified the weight. Came in handy here as well. Notice the Trekking Poles - even though it was flat these came in handy. They help to take some stress off of your knees, and more importantly help your hands. I learned that when you hike for 12 hours with your hands just dangeling to the sides, they swell up with blood and hurt like hell. Using trekking poles kept them above your heart and kept them from swelling.

No comments: