Thursday, June 12, 2008

Unofficial half way


Well - arrived in at Harpers Ferry this morning after a nice and easy 12 miler. (funny how a 12 miler feels like a day off at this point!) Was able to sign into the register at the ATC headquarters - making my 2008 trip real and historical. I was #290 to pass through the doors for 2008. As of now -about 1,200 people have started this year- they haven't counted the SOBO's (southbounders) yet - so that number will go up a bit. Really wondering how many of the 1,200 are still on the trail. Yes I still love the kilt. Weiged in today at 153 lbs! Started the trip at 165 (which was down 40 lbs from my 33rd birthday). Guessing I have offset some fat with muscle - as my legs are rock hard - and I have the arse of a pre-teen Swedish boy. (Bobby should be laughing at this point). Weird to think that I have now lost 52 lbs since I decided to get my life back! Assume I will still drop another 10-15. You can actually see my abs. I simply can't carry enough food. Wake up hungry and that is with 2 breakfasts, a snack, a lunch, another snack, and 2 dinners and a desert. Town days are great to get caught up on calories. Snickers aren't making it in the heat, and cheese gets a pretty bad texture quickly. Going to need some new choices. I feel amazing - and can't believe I let myself get that way prior. Glad to catch it at 33 vs 44 years old. Need to figure out a way to keep it off when I get back - you know when not burning 6,000 calories a day. 2 Snickers a day sounds good now - not sure I can keep that up after the hike. I think everyone should do a long distance hike every decade - quick way to drop the pounds - and gives you a lot of time to think and straighten everything out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lookin good Kev! If you figure out how to eat Snickers & stay skinny when you get back....please let me know!

Anonymous said...

holy freakin crap!! that is amazing.

Dustan and Betsy said...

You're right - cheese loses its mojo pretty fast in the upper 90's. Brahma just came up with a new lunch: everything bagel, brie, smoked cheddar and apple slices. Makes for a great, crisp and yummy lunch. I've reverted to PB&J.

Dude. I can't believe Harpers Ferry is really there. It's a real place. We really can walk to Maine on this kooky little path.

We're in Waynesboro at a church hostel. Zeroing tomorrow, should be hiking again Wednesday.