Thursday, June 12, 2008

the SNP gang


here is the group that I hiked almost all of the SNP with. starting from the left - Freebird, Aboman, me, Mr. Bones and his wife Stubbs, and then Skysurfer. Uphill had already moved on. We ended up eating at Waysides 3 times - funny that this last shelter -just outside the park was called "wayside" - they didn't have any blackberry shakes. Blackberries come from the valley - and I must say - blackberry cobbler topped with blackberry icecream is the bomb! Stayed with some Scouts for a couple of nights - they gave us food and filled our water bottles. Mentally I have lost all of my confidence. I no longer say that "yes I am going to Maine". I'm back to "hope so", and "think so". We have had 4 days over 90 degrees and one of the last days was 107 with the heat index. Completely drains you. Skysurfer told us the other day at lunch that he was quiting. He's 6 foot tall, in shape, and trains by trail running the Smokies - never would have guessed it. Had heard people quit - but hadn't had someone look me in the eyes and tell me they were done. Shook me to my core. Asked if we could talk him back - he said no - he had taken his zeros and thought it over. The bugs are unbearable - body is covered with bites from ticks, fly's, mosquitoes, and no-see-um's. He said he had enough of it. He is a hang glider and wanted to get back to the skys. Taught me a lot about the clouds - and will be missed. Soar on my brother - the trail will be here when you are ready. We stayed at a campground with the lodge and got really drunk to send him off. They sold moonshine - must say - that is quite a drink. I have also thought about quitting for a couple of days - but I know that it would haunt me - and I wouldn't forgive myself. This trail is tough, the heat, bugs, the mental game, the topo - all of it coming together now - and it hurts. The heat is going to be a bigger player than I thought. Been starting at 5:00am to get as much done before noon as possible.

No comments: