Thursday, June 12, 2008

Marathon Man +


Ever since my practice hike with Morgan, have been wanting to hike a marathon. 6/5 was that day - putting in a full 27 miles of white blazed AT (plus my blue blazed side mileage for water -which doesn't count towards the scoreboard). Took me 12 hours total - with 9 miles of hiking - so maintained 3 miles an hour - with a full pack (6-7 days of food). This was also the day I saw my first bear cubs from the other entry. I was so pumped that night - couldn't sleep - what an amazing feeling. This was the second time that I have felt a sense of accomplishment (1st was Roan Mtn). Stayed at the shelter with Drunkin Dragon, Freebird, Skysurfer, and Uphill. Skysurfer was night hiking and a Copperhead struck him - hit is shoe and didn't penetrate. No night hiking for me. When I get back - want to try to run the KC Half Marathon - not really wanting to do the full one yet. (Morgan, Dustin, Eric - start training now!). I will be in amazing shape - and if nothing else - I know I can walk if I have to - but assuming my knees aren't destroyed - think I should be able to do 13 miles. Hell - might even wear my pack! Amazing day.

2 comments:

Morgan Miller said...

WOW, 27 Miles!!!! Great Job! That half marathon will be a piece of cake for you now. I will be cheering for you, I will be happy to finish the 5K again. Keep up the good work, we are certainly proud of you. Loving the gruff too.

Unknown said...

If you can't get any takers on the half, you know I'll do it with you!!