Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Getting close


Well - this is the final leg. Made my way into Monson - last town on the trail - and picked up a hip crushing 7 days worth of food. Stayed at Shaw's hostel with about 12 other hikers. Wanted to catch Brahma, Sweet Potato, Hoot and Sundance - but they are a full 2 days ahead of me. I can't believe that I only have 112 miles left!!!! Getting ready to go into the 100 Mile Wilderness - they warn that you need 10 days of food - but I don't know any NOBO's that need 10 days to go 100 miles. I'm taking 7 so I can zero in the woods if I want to - will likely be at K in 5-6 days. Supposed to have rain for the next 3-4 days which I'm not looking forward to. I WON'T summit in the rain - will sit at the base for as long as it takes to have a nice day. Nights have been getting down to 32-34 degrees but supposed to warm up a bit - hence the rain. Would rather be cold, than wet - or worse - cold and wet. Physically in a good place, knees still hurt a bit. Emotionally - not sure. I am really ready to be done. I have been out here for 178 days, so ready to come "home". Don't have a job and will be terminated on the 7th if I can't find one, as my leave of absence runs out. Don't have a place to live, but friends have offered to let me stay there for a bit. I can live out of my pack for awhile and love doing work for stay! But at the same time, not ready for it to be over. In 6-8 days, it's done. Then what? Hitch to Millinocket, take a bus to Bangor, take a bus to Boston, then back to KC. Need some time to decompress from this current world and the home that I have known for over 6 months. Weird to be ready to be done, yet don't want it to be over. Not sure how to articulate it any better than that. Well - gotta go. Doubt that I will have cell service in the Wilderness - and the next post from me - should be from the top of Katahdin! This has been amazing. Peace and Godspeed on your journey as well.

6 comments:

Morgan Miller said...

What a journey!
Can't wait for the book to come out.
Finish strong!

Anonymous said...

Blaze, Brahma and Sweet Potatoe's Aunt JJ here. Just wanted to tell you that I have been following your journey along with theirs. You are truly a walking testimony to strength and the ability to persevere in the face of adversity. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers everyday and you are blessed.... jj

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo!!! You're almost there, Kevin!! I'm truly in awe of your perseverance. By the way, with the hat I keep thinking you look a lot like The Edge (:

Lara said...

you do look like the edge!
I will miss checking up on you and your journey- take your come back to society slowly- you can always bunk up with the troutners- we have so many we won't even notice!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I wanted to be the first thru-hiker to offer my congrats and my condolences for the end of your hike. Well, the first by computer anyway. I kept expecting you to catch up any day and was really surprised that I didn't see you. I'm "Back Home Again," but headed out this afternoon to finish my skipped section south. Wild Flower and Duncan Dog dvadvocate@mac.com

Anonymous said...

MONSON? Must be a great town!!! Pick me up a t-shirt!
-Kyle MONSON