Friday, September 5, 2008

another death

Third pair is dead after 612 miles and the beating that the Whites gave them. I am in Gorham, NH - with just 297 miles left to go! Going to take a nero, zero to let the knees heal up. Have heard that south Maine is harder than the Whites - lovely. REALLY starting to set in that this journey is almost finished - just one state to go. Freebird left me a message that he finished on the 2nd - I would have been there with him. Love that he is done - he has earned the status of thru hiker - and I hope to be right behind him. Should be 3 - 3.5 weeks to the sign. Have my last pair of shoes ready (bought them in Rutland and broke them in while hanging out with the ol' Lyme disease.) Still seeing people that I know - and meeting new ones every day. The Whites were amazing - and glad my journey didn't end in that hospital bed - they have been by far the best views. The hut system would be a good option for you to see the Whites, while not carrying much food/gear - and still have a warm meal and a bunk every night. You should look into this. I can't believe that I am almost in Maine! Gone by so quickly. Getting scared to end it - to touch it - to have to walk south - to start the next journey. Body and mind are in good shape - trail legs back in order (though the knees are torn up). Not a lot of small towns in Maine - so not sure how much access I will have - hope to update you a couple more times - don't want you to just jump to the picture with me on top of Mt. K. That wouldn't be fair! Might have to wait to add that till I get back . . . . and get the tat . . . . Godspeed.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm proud of you buddy - you're almost there.

Morgan Miller said...

Doesn't it feel awesome to kill another pair of shoes???? You are rockin it dude. We are so proud of you and your journey. Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks with that victory picture.
Awesome.

Mark said...

I can't believe you're almost finished KD! Keep it up!

Mark Andrews

Katie said...

So proud of you KD! Keep it up. You are so close...remember, its about the journey!

Anonymous said...

While you're off prancing through the Wilderness, you missed my daughter's birth. Not real cool, my friend.

Hurry home. Morgan and I have found a new place to eat wings.

Eric

Anonymous said...

We've been worried about you and thinking of you - I can't believe you are so close. Keep going!

Lara said...

Kevin,
It is really great tracking the ups and down of your journey. I speak of you offen with great pride. I am looking forward to meeting you again upon your return. I am proud of you and I am excited sit down and talk....wait, you may want to go on a walk and talk.... either way. Keep your powder dry. Good Luck and God Speed. FISH

Anonymous said...

Kevin, here are some lines of a song thatI think fit your current journey---always remember that so many of us care a great deal about you-----
Lost and alone on some forgotten highway
Travelled by many remembered by few
Lookin' for something that i can believe in
Lookin' for something that i'd like to do with my life

There's nothin' behind me and nothin' that ties me
To somethin' that might have been true yesterday
Tomorrow is open and right now it seems to be more
Than enough to just be there today

And i don't know what the future is holdin' in store
I don't know where i'm goin', i'm not sure where i've been
There's a spirit that guides me, a light that shines for me
My life is worth the livin', i don't need to see the end

Sweet, sweet surrender
Live, live without care
Like a fish in the water
Like a bird in the air

From Mary McCarthy